The Happy Hearts Alliance is a partnership between VGH Centre for Cardiovascular Health, St Paul’s Hospital’s Healthy Heart program and community organizations to provide cardiac wellness programs that are accessible and closer to home.
There may be some minor program variations by location.
Happy Hearts Plus: Community Cardiac Wellness Program
Services offered include:
• Cardiologist and Case Manager support during program enrollment.
• Exercise classes twice per week. Drop-in gym sessions available throughout the week.
• Weekly education sessions on heart disease, healthy living, exercise and nutrition.
• Nutrition and psychosocial support provided by trained health professionals. Access and referrals to community resources available.
For enrollment, please have your physician complete the referral forms.
How long is the program?
The program is 6 months, or 48 attended sessions.
Is there a cost?
The cost of the program varies by location. Contact each location for more details.
Where is the program held?
Happy Hearts Classes: Community Maintenance Exercise Classes
Recent graduates of cardiac rehabilitation programs can join a maintenance class offered under the Happy Hearts Alliance. There is no medical or case management but these classes are led by trained community cardiac fitness instructors. These classes provide an opportunity for clients to practice and apply lifelong self-management skills they learned during the cardiac rehab program.
For new registrations:
- Please have your cardiac rehab case manager complete the referral form. This form will be valid for 6 months.
- If you have graduated more than 6 months from your cardiac rehab program, you will require a doctor’s note to participate or have your physician complete the physician clearance form.
- Doctor’s approval is needed if there has been a change in health since your cardiac rehabilitation program graduation or have your physician complete the physician clearance form.
- Registration is available in-person or by telephone at the community centre. You will be required to present proof of cardiac rehab graduation or doctor’s approval on your first day of class.